I left behind a successful career as a geophysicist to pursue my passion for helping others. In my journey, I experienced the potent and therapeutic healing of creativity and curiosity. In my initial training, I graduated from a master’s level training in psychotherapy and art therapy from the Toronto Art Therapy Institute. Creativity is the root of my practice on which I have continued to professionally train and develop a vast psychotherapy skillset. A wholesome and organic vision of psychotherapy, mindfulness and creative wisdom creates space for an enriched therapy experience. We are so much more than our cognitive self and various parts. Ultimately, I believe that clients are the experts in their lives.
Through my own journey of healing, growth and transformation, from subjective experiences of trauma, grief, loss, uncertainty, change and identity exploration, I am now able to access an inner resource of wisdom. I bring this into the therapeutic space with a safe and effective use of self. I have clinical experience in working with clients with depression, anxiety, stress, rumination, trauma, grief, loss, uncertainty, change, life transitions, feeling stuck, understanding emotions, self-esteem and confidence, values, identity, self-care and other typical stressors in life. Through my clinical practicum, I created and designed a successful therapy program with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada (LLSC), where I have worked with clients from all over Canada and continued to provide therapy with LLSC through my private practice, ARTMA. I am also currently a psychotherapist with the community of practitioners at Hard Feelings in Toronto, offering an affordable mental health service to young adults who experience racial trauma, trauma, sexism, grief, loss, sense of purpose and self, anxiety, relationship difficulties, depression, triggers and low self-esteem. I am also a teacher at the Toronto Art Therapy Institute, a trained SoulCollage® Facilitator and an Artist.
Continued Professional Training and Development
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) Certificate (University of Toronto, January 2023 – Present)
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level 1 (Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute, October 2022 – Present)
- Mindful Self Compassion Core Skills Training (Kristen Neff & Chris Germer, 2022)
- Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT) Level 1 (York University Psychology Clinic, 2022)
- Therapeutic Presence (Shari Geller, 2022)
- EMDR Training (Envision Services, recognized by EMDR Canada and EMDRIA, 2022)
- ASIST 11.1, Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, 2-day intensive (ASIST Trainer, LivingWorks, 2022)
- TASC steps to recognize thoughts of suicide and engage safety resources (LivingWorks Start, 2022)
- Tara Brach RAIN Practice of Self-Compassion (2022)
- The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioural Medicine (NICABM) – The Power of Mindfulness to Radically Change Relationships (2022)
- Compassion In Therapy Summit (Centre for Mindful Self-Compassion and The Awake Network, 2022)
- 33rd Annual Trauma Conference (Boston) – Psychological Trauma: Neuroscience, Embodiment and The Restoration of The Self (2022)
- Narrative Therapy Outsider Witness Practice (Narrative Therapy Centre, 2022)
- Narrative Therapy for Trauma – Resistance and Elevating Agency (Narrative Therapy Centre, 2021)
- Narrative Therapy Approaches to Depression (Narrative Therapy Centre, 2021)
- Narrative Therapy for helping people respond to Grief and Loss (Narrative Therapy Centre, 2021)
- Narrative Therapy Tree of Life Methodology (Narrative Therapy Centre, 2021)
- SoulCollage® Facilitator Training with Mariabruna Sirabella (2021)
Mindfulness and spirituality have an integral part in my daily life. In my journey I have had many teachers from different walks of life. Mindfulness is evidence based in reducing stress, anxiety, enhancing resilience and an effective coping skill. I believe mindfulness brings us to the present moment, here and now, where we are offered the capacity to truly embody all that is, without judgement and with compassion. It is my belief that with working together to find what works best for you, you become attuned to your body and can tap into the innate wisdom that resides in you. Where true change can be sustained.
I cherish the value of the therapeutic relationship. I believe it has a sacred place in co-creating a safe and non-judgemental space for healing, growth and transformation.
I look forward to welcoming you – Anand